(Adapted from Martha Stewart – Holiday Cookies)
1¾ cup roasted cashews plus ½ cup extra for garnish
1 tbs canola oil
1 ¼ cup plain flour
½ tsp salt
¼ pound butter, at room temp
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 large egg
½ tsp vanilla essence
1. Combine 1¾ cup of cashews and the oil into a food processor and process till smooth. This will take about 5-7 minutes. You should end up with ¾ cup of puree. Set aside till cool.
2. Coarsely chop remaining cashews. Reserve.
3. Sift flour and salt together and set aside.
4. In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the butter, cashew paste and sugars. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy-about 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and combine for another 30 seconds. Add the flour mixture and on a low speed combine for 20 seconds. Wrap dough in plastic for at least an hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Onto a lined tray place teaspoon sized balls 3 cm apart and flatten with a fork or finger tips. Sprinkle reserved nuts over top.
6. Bake for 6 minutes. Rotate trays and bake for another 6 minutes. If you wish for a soft cookie then reduce the time.
7. Allow to cool and store in an airtight container for 1 week.
Carol's notes: The processing time of the cashews seems like ages. I suggest you set the oven timer for 6 minutes. The cookies are really crunchy. I would suggest you reduce the cooking time so they do not do damage to your teeth.